Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Birth


September 18, 1934
Dear Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Ila and Uncle Lee,

This is my first picture. I am three months old! Everything is still very strange to me, but I am doing my best to keep my eyes wide open in order to see all that is going on around me. So sorry not to have made your acquaintance before, but Daddy and Mother have spoken of you often enough. So I guess you must be OK. Don't you think I am a rather husky girl the way I hold myself up? Especially for only 3 months? You must excuse this writing as Daddy is doing it for me, because so far the only thing I am able to hold in my hand is a rattle. By now I can laugh, which everyone seems to enjoy, but when I talk, nobody seems to understand, except maybe Daddy who calls me Snocky Poops. All the family seem to like me, and even my big brother Gene takes a great deal of interest in me. Mother devotes most of her time to me and I am always glad to see Daddy come home because we are then always very happy together. I have often heard Mother and Daddy say they would sure like to take me back to California, but Daddy says business is not so good so it may be some time before we see you.

Love to all, Dolores, brother, Mama and Dad

P.S. Dear Grandpa, Daddy told me about the remark you made about me being only a girl. I don't think he did so badly because I am what both Mother and Daddy had hoped for. If Daddy has better luck and the business improved, maybe someday I will have another baby brother.

This letter was written by my Grandpa Gerald "Bumpy" in 1934 to his family back in California to announce the birth of my mother Dolores Orcutt. She was born on May 26, 1934. I never knew Grandpa as he died of lung cancer before my first birthday in 1954. Both Grandpa and Grandma were alcoholics and Grandpa was a heavy smoker as well. Dolores' brother Gene was actually her half-brother from her mother's first marriage. There never was another baby brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment