Monday, August 12, 2013

Why Is She on Quinine?


Monday January 11, 1993

I awake feeling good. I didn't take the Quinine last night or Saturday night. Maybe that was making me ill. At 9 a.m. we go to a 55 Alive Driving class. It's over at 12:00. I still feel good. We go out to a Mexican buffet lunch. I eat alot. I still feel good.

At home, after some shopping I give Frank a perm. Boy did he need it! He looks handsome now!

One piece of pizza for dinner and I feel well enough to go to the square dane to sit and watch and visit. I feel really good but am tired at 9:30 and ready to go home.

What!!? Why did the doctor put her on quinine? No wonder she felt awful, as if battling cancer isn't bad enough! I looked up quinine to see what it treats and according to Mayoclinic.com it is used to treat malaria caused by a parasite in the bloodstream! The most common side effects of the medication are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. It also causes fatigue and chest pain! Thank goodness Mom had the good sense to get off this stuff! She must have felt great to give Frank a perm. The smell of perm solution is enough to make anyone nauseous!

This is the last entry in Journal 5. I now begin Journal 6, her last.




No comments:

Post a Comment