Thursday, October 8, 2009

Home Again

Saturday April 13, 1991

Awoke in my own bed today after 3 days and nights at Kaiser Hospital, Woodland Hills, where I had excellent care. I really like all four of my new doctors!

Paul, Gary, Frank's mom and aunt and uncle were there with Frank during my 90 minute exploratory surgery yesterday. Frank, Paul and Gary all hugged and cried when Dr. Beinstock came out to confirm the cancer is malignant. One tumor is orange size, one is tangerine size, and many the size of raisins scattered within my abdomen. I will have chemo first!

The first thing I remember, I am back in my room with Frank, Gary and Maria. The nurse is saying I must go home now. I am amazed. I can't even keep my eyes open. I feel my stomach. It is flat again. Praise the Lord the fluid is gone. Instead there are bandages, small incisions, 2 below my belly button. Gary and Maria followed us home. It's 11:30 p.m.

Frank is mom's second husband, Paul is his son. Gary is my younger brother and Maria is his wife. The situation sounds kind of like giving birth. You go in with a big belly, come home with a flat one, and they make you go home the next day. Even though mom was exhausted after her surgery and the ordeal in the hospital, she was committed to making an entry in her journal every single day. The set of 6 journals were a gift I had given her for Christmas the year before. I never suspected they would be used for this purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment