Saturday, November 7, 2009

"It's Always Something" by Gilda Radner


Friday May 3, 1991

Shirley and I have a lovely morning on the patio in our night clothes. She is being very gracious about smoking outdoors. Just a whiff of her smoke starts me coughing though. She came to help me around the house but I don't need it so she begins to read Gilda Radner's book "It's Always Something." It's the story in Gilda's words about her fight with ovarian cancer like mine. Gilda lost her fight, but she was very different from me in every way. She had lots of physical problems that I don't have and she didn't deal with it well, mentally. She was a very high strung creative person. I am very calm and determined.

Oddly, Chris had given me Gilda's book a couple of years ago. It's the only book she had ever give me. A premonition??

Shirley and I went out to lunch and shopped for hours.

Did I have a premonition? Why did I buy mom that book? It was 20 years ago and I can't remember what made me buy it. Cousin Shirley was a chain smoker who lived her life with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other. I can't believe mom put up with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment