Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Next Time I See You May Be In Heaven


Saturday May 4, 1991

Frank and I got up early for breakfast. He left about 8:00 a.m. to pick up Marc, Shirley's son, in Van Nuys, at the bus terminal.

It was great to see Marc. We had become very close last year when his grandmother, my Aunt Ila, had grown so ill and I went up to spend some time. It was a difficult time as she was on a respirator and too weak to communicate. She died a few weeks later and Frank and I went to Sacramento again for her funeral.

We spent the day sightseeing in Simi Valley and playing pool. We took them with us to our square dance in the evening and they watched us spin around the room with all our friends.

I remember my last words to Aunt Ila were "The next time I see you may be here or may be in Heaven."

Sounds like mom is the one having the premonition now. That last sentence was written in later with a different pen, like it was an after thought, something that she had just remembered. Mom had visited her Aunt Ila the year before as she lay dying of Lou Gehrig's disease. Aunt Ila was afraid to go off the respirator and mom tried to encourage her to let go. A few weeks later she did go off the respirator and passed away. I wonder if mom had any idea that she would be joining her aunt in heaven so soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment