Friday, February 4, 2011

Doc Hollywood


Friday August 9, 1991

We have a great walk. Frank heads for the valley to work at Gledhill. We decide on an early dinner at Tony Toma's, then come home to call Layne and Phil. They are going to the movies and want us to go along.

We enjoy "Doc Hollywood" with Michael J. Fox. I do better than usual sitting through the movies without too much pain and discomfort in my hips and legs. Frank and I do pie at Marie Callendars after the movie.

It's been a very long time but I think I saw that movie in which Michael J. Fox plays a young doctor who causes an accident in a small town and is sentenced to work at the town hospital. He was only 30 years old in 1991, the same year that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. However, he did not disclose his condition to the public until 1998 and is now an activist for research for finding a cure. I can relate to what Mom says about sitting in a theater for two hours or more. Besides that a movie ticket costs $10 today, sitting that long does get uncomfortable for my back. I would rather wait a few months for the movie to come out on DVD and be able to watch it leisurely from my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment