Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Juneau, AK


Thursday August 1, 1991

Woke up in Juneau, Alaska at 7:00 for breakfast delight d to our room. I'm sick and tired. Last night we stayed up for midnight buffet. I had 2 desserts and went to bed at 1 a.m. I am so tired. We took a bus out to the woods where we enjoyed a salmon bake in the rain under a plastic tarp next to a stream where some panned for gold. The salmon and halibut were really good. We had lobster and baked Alaska for dessert, also flaming peach melba.

I tried to play Bingo at 4 p.m. but couldn't stay awake so went to the cabin for a nap. I felt much better after than. I'm doing well except I'm extremely tired most of the time. No seasickness thanks to Bonine medicine. My right knee is hurting alot. I've had no chest pain or eye problem (blurring) on this trip. We have danced some every night--that's lovely.

It is very clear to me reading Mom's entry that the reasons for her fatigue are staying up until 1 a.m. and getting up at 7, and the Bonine, also known as Meclizine she is taking to prevent seasickness. The most common side effect of this medication is drowsiness and fatigue. She had problems with her knees for years, and I remember her having orthoscopic surgery on one knee years earlier.

Juneau has been the capital of Alaska since 1906 when it was moved from Sitka. It has a population of 30,000 and is accessible only by sea or air.

No comments:

Post a Comment