Friday, April 8, 2011

Surgery Day


Monday October 7, 1991

SURGERY DAY!

We drive mighty early to be at Kaiser Woodland Hills by 5:30. There are about 6 of us checking in for morning surgery. Frank stays with me until they wheel me into O.R. about 8 a.m. Frank tells me my surgery took 4 hours 15 minutes. Gary had arrived about 8:30. They went down to breakfast. After the doctor reported on what he did, I went into recovery for 2 hours. Gary and Frank finally caught up to me about 2 p.m. in my room. I remember they were there but I couldn't stay awake long enough to make a sentence. They left at 4 and 6:30. Frank stayed with me until I got a shot for pain.

My blood pressure was extremely low so they couldn't give me the morphine until the medicine worked and brought up my pressure. It was good that I couldn't stay awake, because when I was, I felt the full brunt of the pain from the surgery.

I am amazed that Mom was able to make this entry in her journal the same day as her surgery. In spite of being under the influence of pain medication, her handwriting looks about the same. My brother must have taken the day off work to be at the hospital. Nice brother, good son!

No comments:

Post a Comment