Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pipe Bomb


Monday November 23, 1992

I feel much better when I wake up. I'm up at 8:00, eat breakfast and start the wash and get cleaned up. I leave at 10:45 to get my nails done. I'm hungry when I leave there and go get a hot dog from Cupid's to take home to eat.

Cari Lyn, who does my nails, wanted me to stay for the ribbon cutting ceremony at 1 p.m. with the Chamber of Commerce. They had cookies and punch. I picked up a Cupid's hot dog and went home to finish the laundry.

Later in the evening Frank goes square dancing. When he comes home he tells me Charlie and John were injured when someone threw a pipe bomb through their bedroom window and it exploded in their bed on Saturday.

I checked the web for any articles about this crime and amazingly, the Los Angeles Times still had an article there titled. "Bomb Hurled Through Window Injures Sleeping Couple : Attack: Simi Valley woman undergoes surgery for leg injuries. Police have no suspects or motive."

"SIMI VALLEY — A sleeping couple were injured early Saturday when a pipe bomb was hurled through a front window of their home and exploded between them as they lay in bed, police said.

Charlene Mayer, 33, suffered major injuries to her left leg and underwent surgery at Simi Valley Hospital. Her husband, John Monroe, 34, suffered shrapnel wounds to his left leg and torso but was not hospitalized."

The following day, the L.A. Times headline read "Moorpark Man Arrested After Pipe Bomb Attack : Simi Valley: Police say the incident may have resulted from a child-custody battle. The suspect's wife once was married to one of the victims." Wow, that must have been one nasty divorce!


No comments:

Post a Comment