Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Grandma Helen's 65th Class Reunion


Saturday May 18, 1991

I awake before the 7 a.m. alarm. Up and at um. Leave for Pasadena at 8:30 to pick up Mom and Cathy for our drive to Santa Ana for Mother's 65th Class Reunion. We really enjoy seeing such lively 83-year-olds. Eleven class members are there and 8 guests. I am eating every hour this morning and really enjoy the turkey dinner.

I arrive back home at 5 p.m. and am really bushed. I have had alot of pains in my ovaries the last 2 hours. After a short rest and leftovers for dinner, we dress and head out for "The Club" square dance. What a good time we have! We danced only with "Angels". Only 5 class members were there. We have cake at break. I was hungry again!

Cancer is no respecter of family longevity. Mom's maternal grandmother Amanda Johnson lived to the ripe old age of 101 and her mother Helen who is 83 in 1991 lived for another 6 years, finally passing of old age when she was 89 years old. The photo above was taken when Grandma Helen was in her 20s.

I always imagined I would have my mother with me well into her 90s if she inherited the longevity gene. How does cancer strike a healthy woman in her 50s? I was robbed of the time I should have been enjoying my mom into her old age. Her grandchildren Derek and Ryan should have had time to get to know her, just as my oldest son Justin did. Derek was only 10 months old when she died. Ryan was not born until 2 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment