Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Love A Circus


Wednesday April 22, 1992

I call Maria at work to ask them out to dinner at El Torito. She says the Circus Vargas is in town tonight and tomorrow. I get excited. I love a circus and insist we go tonight. Later Gary agrees to go and at 7:00 they arrive at our house. Gary drives. It's a fun circus.

As we leave I ask Frank what time is it? He says 9:50. When we turn on the TV at 10 p.m. news we learn there was an earthquake at 9:50, centered in Desert Hot Springs. It's a 6.1 so should be some damage. I try to call Mom but lines are down.

At 8 a.m. Thursday I begin again. I finally get through to Mom at 1:30 p.m. She's fine. Hardly felt it, just a little damage. No big deal for her.

It sounds like Mom had a premonition about the earthquake, as it would be impossible for her to actually feel it from hundreds of miles away. Her mother though lived right at the epicenter. Grandma Helen lived in a mobile home, so there could have been substantial damage with alot of shaking. 6.1 is a pretty large quake.

No comments:

Post a Comment