Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Alkeran


Monday April 20, 1992

Awoke at 4 a.m. feeling sickly hungry. At 7 a.m. it had turned to nausea so I took a Compazine. Frank brought me a banana and the trash can to throw up in. About 9 a.m. I began retching and after giving up some bile I felt well enough to go down and drink some orange juice with a toasted muffin. Frank is working on the rental house. By 10:30 I was sick again so just continued to stay in bed. At noon Frank came home for lunch. He fixed a frozen entree for me of noodles, gravy and meatballs. After eating that I began to feel much better.

Was it the medicine that made me sick?? The "Alkeran" I take for 5 days every 6 weeks?

I'm well enough to go square dancing and dance every dance, but we come home after instead of going to Hudson's Grill.

Thank God for the internet. Mom did not have access to so much information that is now at the tip of our fingers. But didn't her doctor tell her about the side effects of Alkeran? A quick check of the website WebMD states the side effects of this medication which is used to treat cancer patients as follows:

"Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lip/mouth sores, and loss of appetite may occur. Nausea and vomiting can be severe."

At least the doctor did give her Compazine which is supposed to help relieve nausea for cancer patients. I remember my doctor prescribing it to me for my pregnancy nausea and it didn't do a thing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment