Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Durango-Silvergon Narrow Gauge Railroad


Tuesday July 28, 1992

Up at 5:30 a.m. to leave at 6:30 for Durango. We arrive at 7:40 and board the Silverton Narrow Gauge train for a 3-1/2 hour ride to Silverton, Colorado, an old mining town. Our square dance friends are on the train with us. It's a long and beautiful ride through the mountains and canyons along a beautiful raging river "Animus."

When we arrive we split up in couples. Frank and I have a nice lunch and wander around town buying a few items. We return to Durango via a bus. We go by Purgatory where we skied about 12 years ago. Back in Durango we wander the town and have a great Mexican dinner, then return to our condo in Pagosa Springs. I am very tired physically. My feet really ache. I guess the arthritis has spread to my feet.


This is the ski trail map for Purgatory Ski Resort in Colorado. Mom and Frank enjoyed many years of skiing together at various resorts all over the country. In 1986 I even went with them to ski in Innsbruck, Austria. Those last few years of her life, even before she got cancer, she had to give it up because of arthritis in her knees. My husband and I had to give it up last year as well. He also has knee problems. Mom and I learned to ski together in a dry-land skiing class in 1974. That's where she met Frank. I liked him right away and encouraged her to date him. She had been single for two years by then. I was 21 and she was 40.

I'm not sure what kind of pain Mom is having here in her feet. She is probably at her heaviest at this time, so it is possible she had plantar faciitis in her arches. When I was 40 pounds heavier, I had that.

No comments:

Post a Comment