Saturday, January 28, 2012

Easter Sunday!


Sunday April 19, 1992 (Easter Sunday!)

Determined to attend the Easter church service I felt pretty good this morning except for awful sweating that went on for over an hour. Hard to put makeup on. The old pretty dress fit fine but the belt was too small by 4". No belt today.

I love the service, especially the songs. There are words spoken that make me cry. They pertain to me. Frank is wonderful. He would rather have gone to Catholic Mass today for a change but the decision was left to me. We should go to mass next week if possible.

After church a lovely lunch at Marie Callendars, then to Gary's about 2 p.m. I help Maria get a turkey into the oven. Her first. We have a lovely day in the pool and spa. It's 88 degrees. Wonderful day and dinner. We brought rolls and strawberry pie. After dinner we take a neat walk in the hills down the street and get to our home about 9 p.m.

I'm so glad that my brother lived close by when he and Maria bought their house. I regret that I moved so far away in 1974 after graduating from college. If I had known my time with Mom would be limited I might have chosen to live closer in order to spend more time with her.

Mom placed the program for the Easter service at United Methodist Church in Simi Valley into today's journal entry. Two sections of the program have ** next to them. These must be the words that really spoke to her and made her cry:

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
Here we are through Lent, God.
It's Easter,..
but that's not how I act.
I act as if
"Well, that's over for another year!"
God, help me to rejoice and be glad;
To feel the reality and wonder of the resurrection
with my whole being;
to be able to mean "Hallelujah!"
as I mean my shouts of joy.

and then...

Surely, it is God who saves me;
I will trust in Him and not be afraid
for the Lord is my stronghold and my sure defense,
and He will be my Savior.

Perhaps Mom was thinking that modern medicine could do wonders, but only God can save her. She will not be afraid of death, for Jesus died to save her from sin, and give her eternal life in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment