Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vancouver


Friday July 26, 1991

I arise at 5:30 a.m. We weill leave at 7:15 to catch the 8 a.m. Fly-Away bus in Van Nuys. On the bus ride I feel the tightening in my chest again. I feel very relaxed but maybe I'm experiencing anxiety. I decide a prayer to ask God to keep me healthy while on this 10-day trip is a good idea. I must put it in God's hands. I pray he'll grant my request. I promise to talk to the doctor when we get home.

A good flight, excellent food, nice bus ride, we arrive at Sheraton Landmark Hotel. Nice room, 20th floor, great view of ocean bays, ships, boats, parks and hotels.


We take a bus to Gas Town (20 blocks away) an area that has been revitalized, with a historical past. We window shop and have dinner at Spaghetti Factory.


We pay to go to the top of the Harbor Center Building (553 feet high). It's a panoramic view of Vancouver. Great!

In 1867 the south shore of Burrard Inlet was a wilderness. Its only non-native settlement was a lumber mill where the owner didn’t allow alcohol on the premises. One September day, “Gassy Jack” Deighton arrived (he received his nickname because of his penchant for spinning tall tales and talking without end). He stepped ashore with a barrel of whiskey, telling the millworkers that if they’d build him a saloon, he’d serve them drinks. The saloon was up and running within a day…just across the property line of the mill. Gastown was born. Today Gastown is a quaint tourist area of Vancouver with many restaurants and shops. We visited Vancouver in 2006 and enjoyed it's mild climate and beautiful setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment