Monday, September 19, 2011

Cupid's Hot Dogs


Saturday January 4, 1992

Up and feeling great! We go banking, shopping and have a Cupid's hot dog and ice cream at Baskin Robbins.

At home I make a huge salad for dinner tonight here with Marty, Kathy, Robbie and Dolores. Then I make a loaf of sandwiches for the Halfway Dance tonight.

Everyone arrives at 6 p.m.

Wow, this brings back some memories. Baskin-Robbins is still around in every town in America and 35 countries with 6000 stores and their 31 flavors of ice cream, but Cupid's Hot Dogs in Van Nuys was where Mom would take me when we were on a shopping excursion or when we went to visit her grandmother in Van Nuys. It was established in 1946, but only 3 stands remain today, in Northridge, Simi Valley, and Canoga Park, California. The one Mom took me as a child in Van Nuys was torn down, but the one across the street from the CSU Northridge campus I attended in the 70s is still there. Hot dogs with chili and onions was all they served. It was just a small roadside stand. The skin on the hot dog was thick and when I would bite through it, the juice would squirt in my face. The onions made my eyes water. The buns were soft and fresh. It was a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment