Saturday, September 24, 2011

Refinancing Real Estate


Tuesday January 14, 1992

We're up but both feeling tired and run down all day. At 10 a.m. we meet John of Aras Mortgage in Reseda to refinance Gledhill and pay off Lemona and SanWa Bank (trailer) That goes well. We go to Van Nuys, have car washed and eat a Tommy's hamburger. Finally home after some shopping we relax, have dinner and leave for 7 p.m. class in North Hollywood for country western dancing. It's fun. Afterward we all go to Baker Square for dessert.

I'm desperate to lose 40 pounds, but keep giving in to temptation. No will power. I hate the way I look. I really need to lose alot before our cruise April 5 to Carribean.

Being more overweight than Mom, I'm not the best person to judge her eating habits, but I know for myself, eating out always causes me to consume more calories in general than eating at home. As I have said in earlier posts, I notice that Mom and Frank eat out on average two times per day, so besides the added expense, they are probably consuming more calories than they would eating at home. Frank has never had a weight problem at all, but Mom (and I) battled her weight since her 30s. I'm sure they are burning calories on the nights they go square dancing, but then they put them right back on when they go to Hudson's Grill, or some other restaurant, afterwards with their friends.

Interesting that this night they went country western dancing instead of square dancing. As far as I know this is the first time they have tried country western.

I'm not sure why Mom wanted to refinance the mortgages on her two rental houses. Perhaps is was some kind of estate planning. Perhaps she thought interest rates were down and it was a good time. As you can see from the interest rate chart above, mortgage interest rates in 1992 were just above 8%. Since this was a rental house, she may have gotten a mortgage rate around 8.5% Since Mom did not have a crystal ball, she didn't know that interest rates would continue to drop from the high rates of the early 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment