Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Have So Many Old Friends from Childhood


Sunday December 29, 1991

We're up early to get ready for a visit from Jack and Theresa Turpin. We put on a great lunch for them, son Bill and his 3 children. We enjoy it too. They stay til about 5 p.m. We have a good visit. Frank says later he is envious that I have so many old friends from childhood and how we reminisce about the old days. Frank had no friends when he was young. That's sad. I think keeping friends grounds us. I'm happy to have so many friends from years and years ago.

I am so envious of that very thing too, Frank. I have very few friends from my childhood that I keep in touch with. The only one that comes to mind is Debbie Smith, who lived 2 doors down from the house on Lemona. We keep in touch on Facebook, but I haven't seen her for many years. That's one of the things I love about Facebook: locating and catching up with old friends. Mom had dozens of friends from her elementary and high school days, and the friends who came into her life in later years remained her friends for life. The image I have posted with this entry shows an inscription from her senior high school yearbook below the photo of her friend Carol Zeigler. This yearbook is dated 1952 and Carol's inscription states that they have know each other for 11 years. In 1941 Carol and Mom were 7 years old! Amazingly, Frank is now married to Carol!

No comments:

Post a Comment