Saturday, December 17, 2011

Chris Had an Emergency Appendectomy


Friday February 28, 1992

Awakened at 6:50 a.m. by a call from Chris. She's in the hospital. She had an emergency appendectomy last night. She feels pretty good but is very concerned about the drugs they had to give her and their effect on the baby. They all assured her there is nothing to worry about but...?

I go back to sleep after her call and sleep til 8:20. I feel better, more rested today, but I don't feel up to walking. It's getting harder and harder to carry this extra 50 pounds. Today, I will start eating only when I'm hungry. I eat my first meal at noon. We go to see Kurt and Karl from 4-5 p.m. At home we get ready to leave at 7:15 for square dancing in Reseda with many of our friends. After dancing we go to Bakers Square and fall into bed at 12:30.

I called Chris at 5:30 and she's had a good day, walking alot. She sounds great!

Back on October 3, 1991 Mom's entry in her journal says that I had an attack of appendicitis and spent the day in the hospital. That time the symptoms went away on their own. Too bad I didn't have my appendix removed at that time. This time I had the exact same symptoms, but was half-way through a difficult pregnancy, with nausea, tachycardia episodes, and now this. When the symptoms began I knew exactly what it was. I went to the hospital and told the nurses I was having appendicitis. I was told they would let me stay for observation, but that it was probably just my uterus contracting. Having already gone through labor with Justin years earlier, I knew the difference between contractions and appendicitis. I insisted they check it out. I had an ultrasound and it was determined that my appendix was indeed inflamed. Then I started vomiting, which is a symptom of appendicitis, although for me that was just like any other day of this pregnancy. Dr. Louis Sauer, a woman surgeon, performed the appendectomy under general anesthesia. It involved an incision in my swollen and ever-expanding belly, which of course left a good-size scar. I was surprised that appendectomies were not done orthoscoptically like gallbladder removals.

So Mom states she is starting her weight loss program, and the first thing she does is skip breakfast, exactly what all the experts say NOT to do. She still went to Bakers Square, but doesn't say if she has pie, which is their specialty. Eating late at night, which is my problem too, is a good way to pack on the pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment