Sunday, December 25, 2011

Point Lobos


Monday March 9, 1992

Up at 7 a.m. so we can be at The Tinnery for early breakfast - buy one get one free. Breakfasts run about $6.00 and the small orange juice I have costs $2.50. It's about 4 ounces--too much!

We drive along the sea, stopping to take a 1 mile hike where it is especially interesting. Then the road takes us inland for awhile and we end up at Point Lobos. It's a State Park $6.00 per car. What a fabulous place. We get free binoculars to use from the ranger. We drive, hike, drive, hike, eat our packed lunch, and hike some more. Not too much up and down so I do very well. We see lots of birds and sea lions and beautiful scenery, rocks, cliffs, flowers. It's a wonderful day.

At 5 p.m. we are back on Fisherman's Wharf for early bird dinner at Red Snapper. It's great! I go to bed at 10. Frank stays up to watch a movie. What a great day! I'm feeling very guilty about not seeing Chris this trip. I tried to call her again today. No answer.

This was in the days before cellphones were commonplace. It must have been frustrating for Mom not to be able to get hold of me. Nowadays I have my cellphone on me most of the time, so can be reached even when I'm not home. There are a few places we camp that have no cellphone coverage, but for the most part, I can be reached day or night.

Point Lobos is a state park south of Monterey and Carmel. It is one of the most beautiful parks in California. The scenery is spectacular and it is still $6 per vehicle. This park is well worth the fee, with numerous hiking trails along coves, cliffs, and dense vegetation with flowering trees and shrubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment