Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner is Cancelled


Sunday November 24, 1991

I must feel better today. I have things to do if we are going up north this week. I slept well. I feel a little better. Ric calls to say Chris is still sick and crying and has decided to call of the Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Would I call everyone?

When I call Cousin Shirley at 11:30 a.m. she has been drinking. I am so disappointed. Later Marc calls and confirms she is back on the bottle bad. They are all very disappointed about Thanksgiving dinner. I call Donna & Bob. They understand.

I divide my grocery list with Frank and we manage to get all our groceries for a week. By evening I'm feeling awful again. the diarrhea has returned.

Thank goodness Mom was feeling a bit better this day. I was so sick the last thing I wanted to do was talk to anyone on the phone, even Mom, and that's saying alot because I loved talking with her. Too bad her Cousin Shirley from Citrus Heights was drunk so early in the day. She suffered from alcoholism most of her adult life, and Mom was one of the few who would put up with her behavior. I guess that's because Mom had 2 alcoholic parents. Marc is Shirley's son and apparently they were all invited for Thanksgiving. The last time I remember visiting Shirley, she was drinking and smoking like a chimney while I nursed my brand new baby in their living room. This was 1981. I thought it was so rude. One other year prior to Justin's birth they came over for Thanksgiving and were very offended that I would not let them smoke in my brand new house on a rainy day. They went out to the garage. I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with the smoke cloud when I was already so nauseous! As much as I hated to disappoint everyone and call of Thanksgiving, it was the best decision for myself and for Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment